Monday, January 12, 2015

Weekend Review: Our Road Trip!

Wow - what a wild and crazy weekend!

Friday Night

We had the honor of joining Andrew's family for a lovely outing.  We all gathered for a delicious dinner {and wine!} before going to the Tulsa PAC for a performance of Once.  I didn't know anything about the musical - other than I like musicals. I had not seen the movie. I had not looked up the songs/story line/setting.  And I think I could listen to {most of} the soundtrack again and again.  I actually think the main song, "Falling Slowly", has played on some of my Pandora stations.

Moral: Good company. Good food.  Good entertainment.  Win-Win-Win. 

Not quite fantastic at this selfie thing... but the "burst" photo settings help!
See - helps when Maggie assists!
Saturday

Saturday we hit the road {Jack}.... we went to Dallas. It is about 3.5 hours from home one way so we decided to make the trip all in one day.  I have done this before, but it can be exhausting.  

What did we have planned that was going to make the exhaustion that much worse? 

Andrew's First Trip to IKEA!

So here are some preview pictures of our haul, but I am hoping to do another detailed post of our bathroom plans, as well as our IKEA adventure, sometime very, very soon.  And yes, please hold me to that! 


Chocolate was Andrew's only requested item!
We made two impulse buys: a soap dish and a chocolate bar.  And I would almost bet on the fact that the chocolate was more expensive.  Or the hot dog and soda Andrew got while we were waiting on our "Full Service" items {a.k.a. Full Service to pull from the warehouse for you, all assembly and car-loading still required!}

Overall, I don't think it was as bad as Andrew thought it COULD have potentially turned out.  And we didn't make impulse buys because by default, we went in to buy anything and everything we thought we could use/want for the bathrooms.  

And we ended up with this amazing rug! 

IKEA: So efficient at packaging that we are STILL weighing down the edges {although just because I am OCD - they are pretty much flat at this point!}

Food in the "Big City"

We actually went to In-N-Out Burger {also a first for Andrew} before going to IKEA.  Excuse the bite out of the hamburger... no it did not come that way.  It is just what happens when you eat a somewhat-early dinner the night before, sleep, get up early, don't eat breakfast, are in the car for 4 hours, and then wait {for a relatively short time in retrospect} to eat as you think your stomach is going to come out of your throat. 

Thanks for listening. 

{And to be on the safe side, yes my husband did offer to pull over to get me something to eat but I didn't get hungry until all of the sudden I was hungry - if that has ever happened to you, you will know what I am talking about.  Otherwise, better luck next time!}




We are big users of Yelp on our trips.  I don't know what we did before iPhones in this manner.  Actually I do, and it didn't taste nearly as good! 

We decided to go to Whiskey Cake because it was relatively close by, had good reviews {everything actually did in that area}, and had a good mix of food for an indecisive set of people.  So indecisive that we weren't even saying "I don't care what we eat.... but that doesn't sound good."  Doesn't go like that in your family? Oh, sorry. 

We decided to split a salad that was meant for an entree because it sounded soooo good.  

And we scored. 

Kale & Pomegranate Salad with fried chickpeas, apples, bacon, onions, and a fried, poached egg full of goodness on top.
This salad was out of this world fantastic.  

I actually discovered something about myself because of this salad, that I immediately disclosed to my husband, and created a hashtag I think I might actually use twice.... 

Things I have learned in 2015: We must learn how to fry and poach the same egg.  Period.  Or I think I may.... never eat anything green again.  There - I have made my threat!

Then I followed it up with the OMG Burger

My eating strategy?  Cut onion ring in half, lie flat, cut burger in half, and use knife and fork as necessary!
Delicious too - very different take!

Chicken & Cheese Melt and Champagne Berries Romanoff 
Not pictured {because I couldn't risk taking a few more seconds to eat it or Andrew would have eaten more than his half}: Adult Mac and Cheese.  Just Say YES.  Trust me.  Calories don't count because I have a strong belief they make it with heavy cream. 

Sunday we cleaned... and cleaned... and cleaned.... and Christmas is over.  

Hopefully I will give you the bathroom plans later this week - - until then.... STAY WARM {for only a few more days people!}

2 comments:

  1. Omg what an AWESOME trip. We had an IKEA 45 minutes from us in CT, and we used to go just for date nights to eat Swedish meatballs, browse, and buy candles... oh, I miss those days! I didn't know you were (kinda) so close to Dallas! I'll be there in 2 months for a business meeting and can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so jealous you were that close to an IKEA! Maybe someday.... You will love Dallas! It is such a welcoming place. It is big, but still has trees {a requirement for my tastes!}

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...